* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics

173 extractors by kylee dingo
[April 07, 2024, 02:55:17 PM]

lowering my bedford cf by Ratbox
[October 07, 2023, 07:59:56 PM]

Sale of 1977 Bedford Motorhome by Anne Speed
[August 26, 2023, 01:04:00 PM]

Adjustable Upper Control Arms by Saville
[August 22, 2023, 11:35:43 AM]

202 red to 202 black Carby engine by johnxb351
[June 21, 2023, 06:33:35 PM]

CF CLUTCH PEDAL by johnxb351
[June 18, 2023, 02:58:15 PM]

Royal Bedford by wendyh
[October 16, 2022, 03:40:43 PM]

Mounting roof consule by greasey monkey
[May 14, 2022, 09:25:38 AM]

Delete my account by wendyh
[May 11, 2022, 07:20:50 PM]

What have you been up to this week by Kenneth71
[May 11, 2022, 04:08:42 PM]

Author Topic: installing flare kits methods and products required.  (Read 11985 times)

able

installing flare kits methods and products required.
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »
has anyone got a full run down of attaching flare kits with pics in their gallery? particularly the glassed on method.

or can someone who could be bothered run through the process including the product names of adhesives and the pro's and con's of different glassed on methods?

Offline Bas NZ

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: installing flare kits methods and products required.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:18:43 PM »
Ok Able, will get back to you tomorrow with the run down of the right way to do it.  Bas

able

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:42:20 AM »
thanks bas!

Offline cfjeff

• Rid of the rust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »
There are some pics in my gallery of mine being glassed on, heve a look and ask all the questions you like.

hope this helps
Cheers Jeff
Just customize it!

able

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:30:46 AM »

did you use a product to adhere cfjeff or did you just use straight fiberglass?

i have heard of people laying down a bed of epoxy on the metal to give the fiber glass something to attach too and i have also heard of super strong specialty products used to virtually glue the flare to the metal and then you just use common products to fill the gap and smooth out.

anyone aware of what this super strong product is so i can go get me a can?

Offline Bas NZ

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:31:22 PM »
Sorry Able, will get it online tomorrow for sure, to much work at the moment, what jeff has is the old way of doing it, if you get the mixture right and the cure time right your sweet, if not you have big trouble down the road. The new way does not use matting at all but does use a epoxy resin and micofibres to form a paste, you can get this from Fibreglass International in OZ, will give you the fill rundown later. This is the supper stron stuff, but you use two different grade fibres when you do the job. But you do use Epoxy not Polyester as the wax content is to high, that is not to say Epoxy doesen't have wax it does, but it does not come to the surface.

Cheers Bas

able

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »
no worries bas. ben was telling me today to ask you for advice on your method.

i hope the young fella is ok.

Offline cfjeff

• Rid of the rust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
Gidday
 The fibreglass flare is pk screwed to the inside of the of the wheel arch, the steel of the van is roughed up with a 24 grit sanding disc in the grinder. Next a mixture of polyester resin is mixed up and  a layer brushed onto the flare and steel. Strips of fibreglass matting are cut and applied across  the body and flare. Then the brush is dipped in the resin and applied to the matting. Now most boat shops will tell you to brush it on, all this does is distort the matting, instead use a stapping action to force resin through the matting. Continue to do so until the matting changes colour to the same as the resin, then apply the next strip of matting in the same manner. The advantage of the stabbing motion is to remove all air bubles. You can continue and place more layers over the top until the desired buildup or shape is achieved. Once the resin has set hard it can be sanded (never run your hand over though sharp blades of glass hurt). Then we just put a layer of newtec bog over the top and finished off with normal bog.

As Baz said this is I understand the old method of doing it but it has been on the van since being shown this method in 2005 and not a single crack or reaction yet. I too would be interested in knowing the new method of applying fibreglass flares.

Hope this helps you with yours
cheers Jeff

Just customize it!

able

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »
thanks jeff. yes it will be very interesting to see this new method. also mezzmo stated that the professional that attached his kit grabbed a flare and lifted the beddy a few inches to show how strong the adhesive was.

wish you could find out that method/product mezz? hint hint  :D

Offline cfjeff

• Rid of the rust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
Yep I grabbed mine the next day when the resin had gone off and wobbled the whole van as a test of strength, coz I'd rather find out before I painted the van if it would crack or not. It didn't and hasn't yet so I'm happy.

Cheers Jeff
Just customize it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal