* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics

173 extractors by kylee dingo
[April 07, 2024, 02:55:17 PM]

lowering my bedford cf by Ratbox
[October 07, 2023, 07:59:56 PM]

Sale of 1977 Bedford Motorhome by Anne Speed
[August 26, 2023, 01:04:00 PM]

Adjustable Upper Control Arms by Saville
[August 22, 2023, 11:35:43 AM]

202 red to 202 black Carby engine by johnxb351
[June 21, 2023, 06:33:35 PM]

CF CLUTCH PEDAL by johnxb351
[June 18, 2023, 02:58:15 PM]

Royal Bedford by wendyh
[October 16, 2022, 03:40:43 PM]

Mounting roof consule by greasey monkey
[May 14, 2022, 09:25:38 AM]

Delete my account by wendyh
[May 11, 2022, 07:20:50 PM]

What have you been up to this week by Kenneth71
[May 11, 2022, 04:08:42 PM]

Author Topic: 4x4 Beddy info - can anyone help?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Warren

• Global Moderator +
  • Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
4x4 Beddy info - can anyone help?
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
Recieved via email - can anyone help

18 March

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.buga.com.au from:
Tim <tsambell@cidhs.cx>

Hi need some advice ,I have had a long wheel base cf beddy CHESTER with 350 chev 4x4
auto,f250running gear, unfortunately the fuzz decided that the rear spare tyre
blocked the indicator and have given me a yellow kiss of death. I love the van and
have had for 18 year did at rip around Aussie in 2000 in it. And was planning
another but the cops are asking for compliance plates for all the conversions.I was
originally told it was built in Nz
and imported to wa but have no evidence. I have spent a bucket on the bus over the
years and it is a awesome 4x4 that goes anywhere but now the yellow is in place I'm
losing my energy to fight on. Is there any help, suggestions,WA contacts that might
assist.

I used to be vague..................Now I'm not so sure

Offline BeerBeddy

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
Re: 4x4 Beddy info - can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
Oh dear is my first intinct.

With regard to the camper conversions, if there are no gas or electrical appliances 'bolted' into the vehicle, there will be no need for any gas or electrical compliance. Its just a van with a bed and a TV. Perhaps.

Now the hard part. Unless you can show that the vehicle was registered somewhere in OZ with the 4X4 and Chev mods prior to all the fun regulations coming into effect, you will have no choice but to go through the hoops and have it engineered for registration. (I'll see if I can find the cut off date for these regs)

There is however one other option. Under the new club plate scheme in Victoria, there is no requirement for a roadworthy certificate. The vehicle must only be safe to use on the roads. There are lots of newly formed clubs around now that cater for 'unusual' vehicles and don't care about mods. Do some research in your area. There is always pros and cons. The downside is that you can only use the vehicle for up to either 45 days or 90 days depending on which permit you take out and it cannot be used in anyway for profit or gain. (So you can't carry your band gear to gigs whereyou are being paid for example). Cost wise this can be a good thing. If you don't plan on the Beddy being an everyday driver, with some planning it could work out in your favour without the cost of a full year of rego.

Cheers
Beerbeddy
If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Offline rumax

• Just streetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »
Here in SA, club rego is as follows..... but it must be basically as off the showroom floor and pre 79. 12 months $127.00, 24 months..... $247 and 3 years.. $391.00. some conditions... like only 90 days use, but thinking about it, that's both days EVERY WEEKEND for most of the year.....

There was also a recent push to get "street machines" onto a similar scheme, but fell thru to only be pre 48 (or look like one) hotrods.

Dare I say BUGA

Workin for the weekend!

Offline rossie

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
If it was purchased like this, means it must of bean registered like this. Just get a roady, so you can remove the yellow sticker. After all, it is registered and hopfuly in your name. It may be a case of Asshole Cop strikes again, there not all like that. I hope l'm right
make it reliable, or smash it with a big hammer

Offline Bedfordcrazy

• Apprentice Mechanic
  • BEDFORDS RULE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »
Also, if you have been driving it all over oz, then it had to be registered, and i would guess it is in your name. Mate just rip the spare off the back, or relocate it so it's not blocking ANYTHING, or add some extra tail lights that are NOTICABLE from behind. Because worse case you have to go over the pits for a full inspection, my advice would be to turn up to the pits with an engineers report on the defected areas. That will make it harder to knock back without them saying the engineer is shonky. You are only looking at about a $100 or so for an engineer to come out to the house and do the job, plus the fixing of any new plates, just have all the paperwork on hand to show him.
This is all i did for my seat in the back, he came out looked at it, knocked it back, explained why, show us what he wanted, we did it, called him back, he riveted a couple of plates for the seat/seatbelt and it has never been questioned to this day.

Also when i had my big american H1 Hummer, $60 for an engineer to come out, and it was registered in no time.

george.
Life Is Short - Grab It With Both Hands And LOVE Your Beddy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal