* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics

173 extractors by kylee dingo
[April 07, 2024, 02:55:17 PM]

lowering my bedford cf by Ratbox
[October 07, 2023, 07:59:56 PM]

Sale of 1977 Bedford Motorhome by Anne Speed
[August 26, 2023, 01:04:00 PM]

Adjustable Upper Control Arms by Saville
[August 22, 2023, 11:35:43 AM]

202 red to 202 black Carby engine by johnxb351
[June 21, 2023, 06:33:35 PM]

CF CLUTCH PEDAL by johnxb351
[June 18, 2023, 02:58:15 PM]

Royal Bedford by wendyh
[October 16, 2022, 03:40:43 PM]

Mounting roof consule by greasey monkey
[May 14, 2022, 09:25:38 AM]

Delete my account by wendyh
[May 11, 2022, 07:20:50 PM]

What have you been up to this week by Kenneth71
[May 11, 2022, 04:08:42 PM]

Author Topic: Long or short?  (Read 19027 times)

Offline maria

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
Long or short?
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »
Hi all,
I'm on the verge, or closing in on it, of buying my first bedford van. I'm wondering how much you'd notice the difference btwn a swb and a lwb for general driving. Is there any? I've been getting around in a swb '76 transit for eight years but i'd like a bedford now as the rust has beaten me and i must move on. I like the look of a swb but a lwb might be that extra bit handy. Anything you can tell me would help.
thanks

Offline ben

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Long or short?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:41:10 PM »
maria it depends on what you want to do with it hey..

id say you can almost fit anything you ever need to in a swb.. and they look a whole lot cooler.. but lwb make flippen great tow vehicles..

i wanna mould 2 swb roofs into 1 lwb one day.. i recon it woul dbe the u;ltimate beddy.. but then maybe it may look out of proportion im not sure..

lwb in the city is hard work cause the turing circle is not as good.. swb make great courier type van id say..

yeh the lwb unless modifyed to fit hq on front and rear will never look sporty or 'cool" but if your not going for that thats fine..

you can take a fair bit of extra weight in the back of a lwb..

i towed home (2 hours) with a lwb (The Zebra, Low Ratio diff) one night 1 car trailer with 1 swb beddy on it and about a ton of parts. so probably about 4 ton.. she handled like a normal car.. we drove at 80 all the way.. and climbed a few massive hills as well.. flippen amazed me..

what you specifially want to do with your van?

oh welcome to the site maria! not many ladys on her eh..
cheers
ben

Adam S

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »
I'm long

... oh - you were talking about Bedfords ... short then!

Offline maria

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:54:11 PM »
thanks for the welcome. i was on the old site too but was under the radar, not having the right kind of van, yet.
generally the it would be for a bit of city driving and some getting away in around vic and over to s.a.
I'm used to heavy and poor turning what with the transit i have. i haven't even driven a bedford yet. A lot that I've seen on ebay etc have sports steering and I guess that makes the turn a bit harder. I'm not really too fussed about that. but i do want sporty and cool. well, who wouldn't? but a modified lwb could to this to. no?

Offline ben

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:59:20 PM »
ok well the only travelling ive done is in a swb.oh i drove from qld in vic in a lwb..

hmmmm

i recon it doesnt matter for you.. just keep looking until you find one you love.. whether it be long or short..

you in melb?

ben

Offline maria

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
i guess you could say i'm in melbourne. and yes, i'm waiting for that moment when i set eyes on 'the one'. it will be a happy day

Offline ben

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »
are you coming to our little get together on the 31st of aug?

its in oakleigh.

im coming from yarram.. you east side of melb?

Offline ben

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile

Offline Shazbot

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »
Well I have a LWB and am now looking for a SWB for my regular driver. I was going to buy a station wagon to cart my german shepherds around to shows and training, but have decided that a SWB Beddy is far more practical for me.  We go camping in the one we have now and there is plenty of room for the futon and the dogs sleep on the floor at the bottom of the bed. We also picked up a prefabricated cubbyhouse and it fit into the back fine. (I am using the cubby for a doghouse) Check out the pics of my LWB in 'members rides'
Oh and welcome to another female beddy fan!!! ;)
Shaz 8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:27:33 PM by Shazbot »
What you looking at?

Offline Jock

• Rid of the rust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
Hey Maria,

Unless you really need the room I would go short easier to park, lighter and most were
produced from factory to seat 7 (I think). My long wheel base has only 2 seats and is only
legally allowed 2 seats unless I install more but then i would have to get it engineered.

Most of the time 2 seats is ok but sometimes I would love to throw everyone in and go for a cruise.
The LWB also has 4 rear tyres (2 either side) so replacing tyres would be more expensive.

Most long wheel bases have no side windows while most shorties have side windows.

Thats about all that I can think of! To tell you the truth - when I bought my Bedford I didn't
even know that there was a short wheel base version, I was so gobsmacked by the appearance
of the beast that I didn't pay much attention to what the bloke was saying... I heard him say that
he had 6 spare windscreens if I ever cracked that one and something about the diff, but apart from
that I was in awe  ;D

If you find a good one - long or short, don't let it slip... Not easy to find one in good nic...
No more "under the radar" Welcome to the new site!

Jock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal