* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics

173 extractors by kylee dingo
[April 07, 2024, 02:55:17 PM]

lowering my bedford cf by Ratbox
[October 07, 2023, 07:59:56 PM]

Sale of 1977 Bedford Motorhome by Anne Speed
[August 26, 2023, 01:04:00 PM]

Adjustable Upper Control Arms by Saville
[August 22, 2023, 11:35:43 AM]

202 red to 202 black Carby engine by johnxb351
[June 21, 2023, 06:33:35 PM]

CF CLUTCH PEDAL by johnxb351
[June 18, 2023, 02:58:15 PM]

Royal Bedford by wendyh
[October 16, 2022, 03:40:43 PM]

Mounting roof consule by greasey monkey
[May 14, 2022, 09:25:38 AM]

Delete my account by wendyh
[May 11, 2022, 07:20:50 PM]

What have you been up to this week by Kenneth71
[May 11, 2022, 04:08:42 PM]

Author Topic: painting and equipment advice needed.  (Read 15695 times)

Offline BusyKiwi

• Global Moderator +
  • Apprentice Mechanic
  • Still in progress
    • View Profile
    • munchtech.com
Re: painting and equipment advice needed.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
don't forget etch primer for bare metal and even bog patches before primer

The straight and black thing is kind of true, white actually shows up more ripples though. Any gloss colour with show up wobbles.

useless information:

base coats are always good for a glossy finish

All colours fade, no matter what you do it in, in a year or so it wont match the left overs you have.

there are more variations of white than any other colour

black and white aren't technically colours, they are shades
There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say "watch me"

able

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
etch primer is that thin dust coat that you put on the bare metal for the primer to stick to yes? this like a mist but you can make out the metal still? put on as soon as the grease and oil remover rub down?

is it better to strip the old paint in stages or make sure you have a few days and strip the entire car and fix everything at ones and get it sealed? i see some seem to work on a area then coat it back up and do the area next to it and repeat all the way around the car?

where does the rust converter fit into the method? is it a all over treatment or only for the actual rusty areas?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:23:59 PM by able »

Offline strez

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
hey strez ive got to primer marias van before i give it back to her.. ive got acrylic undercoat here should i not use that and go buy some 2 pac undercoat? we want to keep her options open for painting later on when she gets to that.. cheers

ben
i`d get some 2pack specialy if it might stay that way for a while

rust convertor is for rust . metal prep is all over treatment althought i`m not sold on that method i prefer redbrown etch or even epoxy etch over freshly sanded metal . most people do it in patches as one section could end up takin longer than expected
classic not plastic . in my case bog and fiberglass

able

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
i always thought 2pac was a booth only deal?

what are the benefits/price differences and how much more would i have to spend on protective gear? 

Offline ben

• Apprentice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »
hey strez can you paint 2 pac over acrylic top coat paint? or does it need to be sanded back?

cheers
ben

Offline strez

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 04:36:45 PM »
you don`t need a booth to paint two pack but overspray is a problem make sure you use a carbon filter in your resperator . panel shops use spray booths to contain overspray reduce conamination by dust and most have a bake cycle in them so a paint job can be cooked at 60 degrees , dry and hard ready to put back together in 1/2 an hour instead of 6 to 12 hours

2 pack will go over old acrylic but not so good over fresh acrylic or enamel

able

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
i went to do some pricing today... of the final color i have chosen one store said i would never get it in acrylic but they could sell me it in 2 pack.

one shop can match it in acrylic but i noticed a huge differences in amounts they think i need.

one thought i should be right with six litres of color and four of clear...acrylic

and another said i would be right with four litres of color and two of clear...acrylic

i told both that its a bedford swb van and it will need to cover the entire out side and inside the cab and the top half of the back at three coats color and three to four of clear.

one was trying to sell me twenty litres of thinners and the other said i will be right with four???????

even the "pro's" cant agree.... seems alot of differences of opinion to me...

i was thinking from memory it would be the six color with four clear and twenty thinners... i remember long ago bringing a zh fairlane all the way to ready for painting and that is what the painter asked for... he originally asked for four litres color but sent me down for two more...

any tricks/problems with dark green metallic?

p.s i never new acrylic clear needed hardener???

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:58:28 PM by able »

Offline Bullstik

• Global Moderator
  • Just streetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »
i;ve found that one litre of undercoat can do my whole van once over on the outside and its a long wheel base  :o
so I got four litres of undercoat filler, one liter of hardener and one litre of thinners. I do the same with the top coat also

Offline strez

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 06:26:09 AM »
6lt of color and 4 of clear should do it, you`ll only need two coats of thin clear on the inside and no acrylic clear i know of has hardener maybe he`s thinking of acrylic enamal which is another name for 2 pack . you`ll need about 5 lt of thinners to spray and some more to cleen up spray gun so aim for 8 lt but check on price could be cheaper in 20lt

Offline BusyKiwi

• Global Moderator +
  • Apprentice Mechanic
  • Still in progress
    • View Profile
    • munchtech.com
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 06:32:05 AM »
base it on 2 to 1 - 2 part thinners, 1 part paint

inside and out I'd say a minimum of 6L paint, you don't need to clear inside so 2L clear

painting metallics is an art, normal paint can just be painted, metallics needs very even coats with minimal overlapping or the outcome will be patchy
There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say "watch me"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal