* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics

173 extractors by kylee dingo
[April 07, 2024, 02:55:17 PM]

lowering my bedford cf by Ratbox
[October 07, 2023, 07:59:56 PM]

Sale of 1977 Bedford Motorhome by Anne Speed
[August 26, 2023, 01:04:00 PM]

Adjustable Upper Control Arms by Saville
[August 22, 2023, 11:35:43 AM]

202 red to 202 black Carby engine by johnxb351
[June 21, 2023, 06:33:35 PM]

CF CLUTCH PEDAL by johnxb351
[June 18, 2023, 02:58:15 PM]

Royal Bedford by wendyh
[October 16, 2022, 03:40:43 PM]

Mounting roof consule by greasey monkey
[May 14, 2022, 09:25:38 AM]

Delete my account by wendyh
[May 11, 2022, 07:20:50 PM]

What have you been up to this week by Kenneth71
[May 11, 2022, 04:08:42 PM]

Author Topic: Camber adjustment  (Read 14245 times)

Offline Zeeman

• Just streetable
    • View Profile
Camber adjustment
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »
Hi all. Recently fitted drop spindles to my Bedford. Unfortunately the negative camber was pretty severe - about 3 degrees. As the stock pressed steel upper suspension arms don't allow any camber adjustment, I thought I would get some adjustable upper arms made up. Thought some of you may be interested. Although it was a decent amount of work, at least I'll be able to dial in the camber to get an exact wheel alignment this way.

Offline Marishka

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice Mechanic
  • AKA mty
    • View Profile
Re: Camber adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
Look great!
Do they need engineers pass?

Offline Zeeman

• Just streetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
No idea! I was told verbally at Vicroads that the van can be re registered as is because it has been previously registered with the same running gear (of course that isn't worth a pinch of shit). I can get engineers certification for them if needed. The material is well in excess of engineering requirements ( 1.25" DOM tube with a 6mm wall thickness ).

Offline Zeeman

• Just streetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 08:53:01 PM »
I don't think I could do much worse than the original builder's idea of 'engineering':

Offline stuuuz

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »
Those upper arms look terrific Zeeman, nice one. Sounds like you've got the camber issue sorted

According to the manual, there is some camber adjustment available with the use of small shims under where the lower wishbones bolt to the crossmember. Not sure how effective it is, but next time I go for a wheel alignment I will ask them to try it out. I only noticed it in the manual after my last wheel align, I showed it to the technician (an older guy who has had a couple of Bedfords in the past) and he wasn't aware of it.

I have put pictures of the manual page and the shims at the link below (the pictures are too big to upload here). Item 35 on the diagram is the shim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyhuKWwVYyYvx9aEA

Offline phill

• Full of bog
  • strike while the iron is hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
Hi I have just pulled the front end apart and on the drivers side only there were shims in between the crossmember and lower wishbone
Phil

Offline Zeeman

• Just streetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
The problem was with the drop spindles I think. The discrepancy was about 15mm at the top arm, too much to correct with shims. I approached Rod Hadfield about it , but the problem was the guy who designed the Bedford drop spindles had since died, and it had been so long since he made a set for Bedford, he couldn't remember the exact specs. The fitting instructions were pretty rudimentary, basically a few scribbled notes. Now I know a lot more though about Bedford suspension setup though! Wanted to make sure Ackerman angle, camber, caster etc were setup properly.

Those upper arms look terrific Zeeman, nice one. Sounds like you've got the camber issue sorted

According to the manual, there is some camber adjustment available with the use of small shims under where the lower wishbones bolt to the crossmember. Not sure how effective it is, but next time I go for a wheel alignment I will ask them to try it out. I only noticed it in the manual after my last wheel align, I showed it to the technician (an older guy who has had a couple of Bedfords in the past) and he wasn't aware of it.

I have put pictures of the manual page and the shims at the link below (the pictures are too big to upload here). Item 35 on the diagram is the shim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyhuKWwVYyYvx9aEA

Offline stuuuz

• Full of bog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »
Yep drop spindles would change the game completely I imagine. Sounds like it was a bit of a mission, well done on figuring it all out!

Offline Lucdown

• Gumbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 12:11:57 AM »
Did you go with Bedford drop,spindles or Holden ?   If you have the camber sorted you could use Holden and change the ball joints. Could you post the instructions. Rod was pretty vague when I spoke to him. As well.

What did it cost you make  or did you do it all yourself ?

Betweeen us all we have to be able to solve this issue.  So many beddies want to,drop the front and still have good geometry.  Who is going to design the kit ?

Offline Marishka

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice Mechanic
  • AKA mty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Yeah Zeeman they are shocking!
Not much thought or work went into them that's for sure😵

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal